Time and Space Travellers: Lynette, Trish, Ann, Gabrielle, Sandra, Sharon, Heidi and Catherine
Earthbound: Ros, Heather, Mary and Katie
- We’ve decided to use Whatsapp for instant communications so could all Book Thieves please download the app and then let Katie or Heidi know you have done so via SMS so we can invite you to the group.
- Sharon, Heather, Sandra still to nominate/confirm their books for 2018/2019. Use Whatsapp to update us.
Discussion: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle is a familiar childhood book for some of the group. It is a book about the battle between good and evil and full of allegory. Madeleine L’Engle was a committed Christian who was also interested in science.
We scored the book 2.6.
Next month is Faraday month and we will be reading Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves and meeting at Katie’s house.
Meeting at Lynette’s house – 12 Linnet St, W-
Stumped : Ann, Trish, Sandra, Katie, Mary, Heidi, Gabrielle, Lynette, Sharon
Where? : Heather, Catherine
- Titles for 2018 were submitted with just Sandra, Heather , Ros and Catherine still to submit their choices for 2018. See the 2018 Reading List for the what, where and when of the year until October.
- We chose the book for Faraday month which will be in April this year and we will be reading Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves.
Discussion : The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood we agreed, starts off with a grippingly dystopian tale of a couple living in their car who sign up for a better life where they will alternate a month of ‘normal living’ and a month in prison. Some way into the book however, we become aware that there is something sinister going on and then farce descends with sex robots, fixations on blue teddies, Elvis impersonators and green men! We felt it was really imaginative and covered some important topics but maybe too many and the result was incoherent and incohesive.
The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood scored 2.6/5
Wish we’d had this article by Helen Garner to talk about in December!
Presenting their credentials : Heather, Katie, Heidi, Mary, Margaret (surprise!), Trish, Lynette, Sharon, Gabrielle
Not gracing us with their company : Ann, Catherine, Sandra, Ros
Business: Titles are needed please for next year. Please either message Heidi/share via Facebook, or email your choice to Heidi – firstname.lastname@example.org
All we have for 2018 so far is:
- Friday 5 January 2018 – Pot Luck at the Movies
- Friday 2 February 2018 – The Heart Goes Last (F) by Margaret Atwood | Ann
Discussion : We all thoroughly enjoyed Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and the book scored highly. We are mostly fans of the BBC series starring Colin Firth and found it was hard to read the book without them in our heads – envious of Trish who has neither read nor watched the story so can read and use her own imagination!
Score : We gave Pride and Prejudice a mighty score of 4.6
Heather’s – 12 Karen Pl, F-